Re: Fwd: Re: Species Conservation

Alright, I've been trying to be diplomatic, but this thread is getting out
of hand:
>>As a matter of fact, it seems as though the Aquatic
>>Conservation Network and other similar groups make me feel guilty about
>>not doing enough to "save this planet."
>
>Guilt = $$$. A method pioneered by religious organizations and adopted by
>charities. Resist guilt. <G>

I really don't think you guys know enough about the Aquatic Conservation
Network to feel much of anything, let alone guilt. You've taken a
legitimate topic on starting up a species maintenance program and let it
fester into an off-topic tangent on "Doug's myopic thoughts on
conservation". It's starting to become a sorry display of ignorance...

To me the attempt to
>"save" Madagascar cichlids that can never be returned to their native
>habitat is a waste of resources - these people could be doing something a
>lot more useful. As for what they could be doing ...

Oh wise and foreseeing Doug tell us the future of all of madagascar's
aquatic habitats... I think its a bit too soon to start eulagizing
Madagascar's extinct ichthyofauna

>A sobering all too true reminder of the big picture. Well put. But I am
>neither pointing fingers nor blaming anyone for anything. The first world
>countries have destroyed or at least greatly impacted much of their local
>environments. On the other hand, I would bet that many more first world
>than third world residents are at least aware of the ecological impact of
>their actions.The first step, as activists tell us,
>is awareness. Once the locals have an understanding of how their future is
>related to how they treat their environment, some of them will care.

I have to take issue with your last statements, how do you know? I would
think "third world" residents would have a much better appreciation of
their impacts on local environemnts- these people have more daily contact
with their natural world, than we in the north. I don't think there are
opportunities for them to change their normal course of subsisting
regardless of how aware or not they may be. Are you aware of the far
reaching ecological impacts of your actions? The reason habitat degradation
is occurring apace in tropical countries-  ever heard of multinational
corporations and their pulp timber operations in Indonesia, poorly
constructed oil development schemes in Amazonian Ecuador, huge rubber
plantations in west africa, large scale forest clearance/cattle ranching in
the Brazilian Amazon, etc., etc. These schemes are for the benefit of a few
and the northern market. Disposable chopsticks are not found in Irian jaya,
gas is expensive in Ecuador, most people in the Brazilian Amazon get their
animal protein from fish...

Come on people let's get back to talking about dwarf cichlids. I for one
can do without the half-baked, end-of-the-world talk...
- - Steve W.