Re: Identidication of Pelvicachromis Species.

WndrKdnomo@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 2/21/98 3:43:42 AM, you wrote:
>
> <<    I recently purchased some Pelvicachromis species sold as Nigerian Red (P
>
> humilis?) and some Nigerian Green (P taeniatus?).
>
> Can someone inform me if
>
> !) the species listed above are correct>>
>
> THe problem with common names such as these is that different importers may
> use the same name for different fish.  "Nigerian Red" has also been used to
> designate a group of populations of P. taeniatus.  There is a picture of this
> fish in Richter's book on Dwarf Cichlids. Of course, there is nothing to stop
> the importers from using the binomial description either.
> Your best bet might be to talk to the dealer at your LFS and see if he can get
> any more information or collection localities from the importer.   IF you
> could get pictures on the Web that would be the best for gaining info from
> this list, otherwise a detailed description of the fish you have would be of
> help.
> Jeff
> WndrKdnomo@aol.com

There is a humilis form called, in the hobby, Liberian Red (see Linke
and Staeck), but I don't know if it is still around.

Humilis comes from the countries of Liberia, Sierra Leone, and Guinea.
This species is endemic to this region of west Africa (as is roloffi),
hundreds of miles west from Nigeria.

In recent years a number of localities and forms of humilis were
imported into the U.S. from Guinea, while years ago, before the Liberian
civil war, one or two forms would appear from Liberia (i.e.- the
Liberian Red - a West African couldn't get much prettier!).

I'll bet the Nigerian Red that you mention probably are taeniatus but
someone mistakenly called them humilis (unless someone mis'IDed a
humilis as Nigerian Red--in a round-about way this would be kind of
interesting-humilis aren't the easiest fish to breed, the males can be
real brutes-shredding the prospective mate when they wish, and if these
are tank-raised, someone's doing a good job, and, if wild,- it means
that humilis are still appearing).

										Steve