Re: apisto life spans (D. filamentosus) -Reply

>>> Lisa Wrischnik <wrisch@uclink4.berkeley.edu> 01/23/98 06:11am=20
I have a question regarding all the "red ventral/anal fin mythology"
surrounding these fish. The female who spawned & raised fry was wild and
already had red ventral and anal fins when I bought her. After a few =
months
I knew she was spawning or at least thinking about it because her fins
began to just blaze red (primarily the anal fin, actually). That's when I
started paying attention and one morning found her guarding fry. Now I had
heard that the fins turn red in response to spawning, but my new generation=

(including both my own fry and wild ones that I picked up rather small) is
laying eggs right and left (although eating them after a day or two - I =
had
14 of them in a 20gal breeder flat, so the density was probably too high)
and I havn't seen the blazing red finnage.

Now I have another question on these guys.  Erik and I had these spawn on =
a few occasions in the 75 gallon planted community tank and the eggs would =
eventually disappear.  We decided that eventually we would separate them =
out and give them their own place.  Before we could do this the female =
took a suicide dive over the filter. =20
Anyway before she spawned she lacked red ventral fins, and after spawning =
they were bright red. ...after we lost her we decided to pick up some new =
females.  Now in the past we have picked up a group and let them grow into =
their sexes.  This time we definitely wanted females, so looking through =
the tanks, some males we could clearly tell, but I've had what I thought =
were females develop into males.  So this time I thought the red ventral =
fin combined with an otherwise female looking fish was a good bet.  Well =
we picked up two female looking fish and isolated them and now one of them =
is developing male finnage and losing the red ventrals.  Now has anyone =
else run into this.  Can these guys change sex?  (I know Crenicara =
Punctulata can, and Sheepshead (a marine) but I didn't hear of these guys =
doing that).  So, I probably just chose the fish wrong but if anyone has =
any suggestion or opinions, love to hear them.

(be outta town for 5 days but I'd love to hear when I get back).

Thanks,
Kathy