Re: Species Conseravation

Darren writes:

<Snip>< However, they recognize that the two varieties were effectively
isolated
> by the falls which established separate gene pools and the possibility for
> genetic divergence. ><Snip>

But:
A) The falls may have prevented down-stream fish from going upstream, but not
vice-versa.  So it becomes a case of whether you are a "lumper" or a
"splitter".  Furthermore, the Welland Canal and the Erie Canal/Genessee River
route eliminated the up-stream blockade for about a century prior to the Lake
Erie population extinction.  Also, this argument has not prevented the re-
introduction of various trout into waters where they had been lost (or wolves
or grizzleys).  Or the re-introduction of large-mouth bass into several
isolated lakes in Western NY which froze solid and killed off everything after
the blizzard of 1977.  If they are to use this argument with Blue pike, then
they should do so with other fish as well.

B) The argument I got from them was not along your line of population
isolation/genetic divergence.  It was simply that "The Blue Pike is extinct,
that's all there is to it, we can't go wasting tax-payers' money chasing every
rumor and fisherman's tale we hear.  They aren't Blues. They might be yellows
with a little of the genetic make-up of the blues giving them a blue-ish cast,
but they aren't Blues. Period.  Now go away and quit pestering us."

Bob