Re: Mating behavior? (A.cruzi)

>>> My pair of A.cruzi has spawned twice in the last 2.5 weeks, but both times
>>> there were no fry. Female is guarding the eggs, but on the third day they
>>> all turn whitish and dead. Female looks kind of embarassed for the second
>>> time in a row.
>>>
>>> What can I do to prevent it from happening again? Lots of plants, pH 5.7,
>>> soft (dont know how soft, 80% RO), 81 F, lots of hiding places.
>>

>Just give them some time. Sounds like they are inexperienced. Good luck.
>Cruzi look like nice fish, hopefully you'll get some going to distribute to
>your friends on the  apisto list :>
>- Steve Waldron

A. cruzi have successfully spawned for me several times in pH near 7 water
as well as pH 6.5.  I don't remember why, but when I first set these up to
breed, I added some crushed oyster shells to the tank so water was probably
harder than what you're working with.  However, the last spawn, also
successful, was in pure RO.  I've never had a problem with egg hatch but
the female killed the first two males she spawned with.  For Steve, I have
about 50 A. cruzi which can be acquired as pairs or juveniles.

Charles Ray
raychah@auburn.campus.mci.net