Re: Red Apistos -Reply

>>> Doug Brown <debrown@kodak.com> 02/25/98 09:15am >>>
Thanks! My male (A. sp. "Red Point" aka "Rotpunkt") looks practically
identical to the "Puerto Narino" picture Erik has posted at the Krib. It
seems some people think these are all the same fish. If anyone would care
to enlighten me on the differences between these and other similar
variations, as well as straightne out the naming convention here I would =
be
happy to listen!

Doug,

This is an interesting topic.  Be curious to here what others have to say. =
 In talking with some of the "experts" some theorize that perhaps they are =
slightly different color variations or regional variations, others say =
they are the same fish.

I found four in this group, the ones you mentioned=20

"Red Point" aka "Rotpunkt"
aka "Puerto Narino"=20

also in this group is Swartzsaum (?sp) also known as the black edged =
apisto.  Some of the Rotpunkt don't have the red on the face that I have =
seen in pictures of Red Point.....  So, far no one has straightened out =
the naming on these that I know of.

Either way I think they are beautiful fish, the male had great coloration =
and the females were more the typical macmasteri complex group.  These =
guys have also been listed as possible bridging species between groups.

 Interesting enough these females are in a select group that have a black =
spot at the base of the pectoral fin.  Only a few species have this and it =
can help in distinguishing this female from other species with similar =
coloration.  I think it is Kullander (afraid I am terrible with remebering =
names) that is doing work on this now and writing about it in Germany and =
doing a scheme to help identify stray apisto females that come in.  =
Haven't heard anything new about how they are going to resolve  issues =
like this one...ie several names applying to the same fish.  I have heard =
rumors that they are changing how the complexex/subcomplexes/groups/subgrou=
ps are arranged.  Depending on if they are a lumper or splitter this will =
be interesting. Sounds like the Germans may have a different group than =
what is here in the U.S. and what Mike Wise is working on.  With all the =
new species this will be ever changing.  Good luck to the fin counters and =
DNA analysis.  Can't wait for Uwe's book to see what is next.  Even then =
there are few new species after it went for publication.
A little digression here...sorry. =20

If you are interested, I did a review and summary of the literature on the =
topic of identifying and classification of apistogramma and how to use it =
to identify stray apisto's, need to update it for the latest new species =
(Rio Mamore and sunsets).  I was suppose to publish it and had it reviewed =
twice, but still need to send it in (afraid house remodeling and internship=
 got in the way)...I could send a hard copy on.  Don't want it on the net =
yet til I either get my but in gear and send it for publication or just =
say what the heck and put it up.

Kathy