Re: Red Apistos

> I have a question about sexing the Puerto Narino/Rotpunkt guys (or gals).  I
> purchased some about six weeks ago as A. agassizii (which they obviously
> weren't) and it took me a little while to figure out their identity.

Some stores will name a fish whatever they like just to try
and sell them, very annoying in my opinion.

 I have
> three individuals: two are ~4.5cm and yellow with black markings (mature or
> maturing) and the other is ~3cm and a paler gray color (immature).  The larger
> both have black spots by the pectorals, so I assume that they are females.

Both males and females have a pectoral spot, especially
visible on the  males when  young.  These fish are not too
easy to sex when small, look for a green metallic colour on
the operculum, these are likely to be males.

> The dominant larger individual has bolder black markings, including the
> anterior ventrals, and a black ventral stripe ending in an anal spot (somewhat
> like a female viejeta in the Aqualog book), as well as a slight point to the
> dorsal fin.  The other large one is less vividly colored and lacks the ventral
> stripe and the pointed dorsal fin.  The smallest fish has a vague pectoral
> spot.  Are they all females?  Could the non-dominant larger fish mature into a
> male (and lose the pectoral spot), or is this just wishful thinking on my
> part.  What about the little one - can the sex be determined at this size?

You shouldn't have to wait too long to find out, as mine
quickly grew into a fairly large size.  If you watch them
you may be able to tell by their behaviour.

Hope this helps,
Ken.