Re: Red Apistos -Reply -Reply

>>> Doug Brown <debrown@kodak.com> 02/26/98 07:47am >>>

I was also hoping to hear more about differences in the lateral band, =
which
I guess I thought was an important difference in the variations. My male
has a very straight but slightly broken lateral band (which he can make
almost completely disappear), while others have more of a zig zag lateral
band. Maybe it's not important though.

Doug Brown
debrown@kodak.com
_____________________________

Doug,

This was one of my first stray apisto's I picked up and the lateral band =
thing drove me nuts.  When they were younger they had a lateral band which =
was broken and then the lateral band changed when the male reached =
spawning age it was zig zag.  Now I don't know if this helps you at all, =
but actually the lateral band is used for classification, so yes it is =
important.  Either my observation skills have improved or my guys changed =
as they grew, and it was an incredible change in that male from drab to a =
beautiful male in spawning color.   So many times I will pick up a stray =
that still hasn't reached maturity and guess as to its ID and then as it =
grows it becomes apparent (or at least more so).

Kathy=20