Introduction

HI Folks

Let me introduce myself,, I have been lurking here for about a week or
so,,

My name is Vicky Brown, and I live in Ottawa, Canada. I have been in the
fishy hobby for a little over two years now, and am totally addicted. I
have 20 tanks on the go now, and breed guppies, panda corydoras,
swordtails, platies, and 3 strains of angels.  I have joined your great
group, from information people were kind enough to give me from the
cichlid news group. I posted a note there a couple of weeks ago, about my
new little beauties.

Two weeks I was very lucky to receive a wonderful present from a dear
friend of mine. He has a 58 gallon plant tank, that he is in the process
of converting to  marine reef, and he has given me most of the fish that
lived in the tank.  I received a bucket full of little fish, two Sundays
ago. A whole tank of Amazon plants, a whole bunch of Otto Cats (20), 14
Cardinal Tetras, and the real beauties, a group of 10 Apistos!!

These are the species,, It took me quite awhile to figure out who was
who, (lot's of "nose pressed to the tank, with book in my lap, nights")

Agassizii  - 1 male, no female, I'll need to get him a couple of females.
He is four inches in length, and is absolutely gorgeous.

Cacatuiodes - 1 male, 1 female, (I went to my pet store, and purchased 2
more females and 1 more male, I just couldn't stop myself,, grin!!).

Biatianata - 2 males, 3 females, and they have a nice territory set up,
and one of the males  is doing funky dances for the females, I think they
all like each other.

Nijsseni - 1 female, and she is very aggressive, and chases every one,
but doesn't seem to bite anyone. I'll have to find her a boyfriend.
Anyone know about these guys, and why she is so agressive?  (I ended up
moving her to another tank a couple of days ago, she is now living with
some angel fish, and has taken over the whole bottom of that tank)

And one fish, I can't find in any of the books I have bought. I think
it's a female, though, and have no idea what type it is. I'll let you all
know if I ever identiify this fish. (I also put this little guy in with
the Nijsseni, for company, and they hang out together)

I rushed out the same day I received these fish, and bought another 20
gallon tank, for them to live in. The tank is cycled now, and heavily
planted, with little flower pots separated by thickets of anubis. The
fish have settled in nicely, and are at ease, and swim at all layers of
the tank. The Agassizii swims around looking very majestic.

I already love these little guys!!! They are so cool to watch.  They move
gravel around with their mouths,,, VBG!!  I sure wish I had more room for
more tanks,, maybe start getting rid of furniture,,,,,,,, :).

About the angel thread,,

I have a pair of black super veil angels, and when they are taking care
of eggs or fry, they both are vicious. I had the male grab the skin on
the top of my hand, and he shook it like a dog with a bone.  They also
head butt me if I am in the tank too long. They have sharp little teeth,
and you definitely feel it when they bite you!!
Considering the size of us, and the size of them, these fish have more
courage, and would probably fight to the death to protect their young.  I
am always impressed when I watch my angels, and their babies. I have 3
mated pairs right now, plus another 10 angels, that I'm waiting to see if
some pair up.

Later,,

Vicky