Re: Apistogramma Iniridae

>I found a couple of these at one of our lfs the other day. After a
>little research I found out they were wild caught in Venezuela about a
>year ago. Does anyone know of, or about this fish? Are they common or
>rare(worth buying). Are they harem spawners?

They are sporadically available and worth having. if the price was right I
would pick them up. make sure it is truly inridae and not something similar
(check Linke and Staeck for differences between other pertensis group
fish). They are blackwater fish that will need low pH (5), peat extract,
etc to breed. The ones I have kept were hardy,if yours are well
established, they should be as well. I believe they will spawn in a harem
arrangement, though I've never bred them.A harem, is one male with more
than one female- you can keep many females with one male, but need to
provide enough space for each to defend a territory within the male's
"super-territory". Good luck

>Which leads me to another question. What does a harem consist of, and
>how many are needed for successful breeding?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Tim

Steven J. Waldron                       phone/fax: (415) 386-7377
2550 Balboa St. #2                      email: swaldron@slip.net
San Francisco, CA, 94121 USA

"Well I woke up in the morning
There's frogs inside my socks"   - Bob Dylan, On the Road Again