Re: Sex change in Apisto nijsenni

> One of the Apisto keepers in my area, Ken Nordby, observed a sex reversal in
> nijsseni.  I believe the male died and one of the the two remaining females
> changed into a male.  I got some of the subsequent offspring.

Hi,

Is it possible that the 'female' was in fact a sneak male.
I have read and seen to some extent that males will stay
looking like females in the presence in a dominant male.

One example being my friend's pair of A. sp tucurui, the
smaller fish looked like a female for a few months but when
the large male died the smaller fish suddenly increased in
size and it's fins lenghtened.

I'd agree that with the large sexual dimorphism/chromatism
in A.nijsseni it is less likely for a male to look like a
female.

Ken.