Re: Apistogrammoides breeding!- artificial incubation

Hi Steve,

Well done on the spawning.  Although I generally do not
agree with artificially rearing dwarfs cichlids.
Apistogrammoides are such a rarity (I've never seen one or
heard of anyone in the UK who has) I won't give you a hard
time.

The only tip I could give is one that you probably know
already is not to expose the eggs to air at all.  Also
keeping them in subdued light with some water movement over
them.

Good luck,
Ken.

ps For some time a couple of years ago fish were being sold
in the UK hobby as Apistogrammoides which were obviously
not, so I believe that these fish have not been available
in the UK.  Does anyone know otherwise?

> Wow! After posting my last messageon the good health of my once sickly
> apistogrammoides- I went and looked at the t-bar tank. Sure enough, the
> female is sitting on a spawn of around 50 eggs! I'm going to artificially
> incubate them, though this is a new procedure to me. I would appreciate any
> suggestions. What a good start of a  day...
> - Steve.

> Steven J. Waldron                       phone/fax: (415) 386-7377
> 2550 Balboa St. #2                      email: swaldron@slip.net
> San Francisco, CA, 94121 USA
>
> "Well I woke up in the morning
> There's frogs inside my socks"   - Bob Dylan, On the Road Again

Ken Laidlaw
Royal Observatory, Edinburgh
Tel: 0131-668 8100
Fax: 0131-668 1130