Re: Pictures!

Darren J. Hanson wrote:

> >Kaycy wrote:

> >What features did you use to differentiate the females?

> Mainly the coloration. The taeniatus, to me, is much more colorful in the
> male and female than the regular kribs. Like I said, I'm not an expert. I
> was just comparing photos. My female reg. krib (wild) has the band over the
> back and through the side and a couple spots in the dorsal but not much
> anything else as far as coloration. Her body coloring is basically white. My
> female taeniatus had tons of coloration and more markings including the
> yellowing under the eye as my male had.

I definitely agree with Darren on this. I have P. pulcher, P.taeniatus
('Moliwe', 'Lokundje', and 'Cross River' - be they color morphs or
subspecies), P. humilis, P. roloffi, and P. sacrimontis, and females for
P. taeniatus (all 3 subspecies that I have) can be easily picked out,
especially by the intensity of the irridescent coloration on the belly.
It's usually a purple color (exactly like Darrens' photo!), but can
change to green if you hit the right angle. Belly color in regular kribs
is non-irridescent. I'm not so sure about the gold color; my female
'Lokundge' and 'Moliwe' do have gold all over the head, but the 'Cross
River' does not.

The males have the right body form for P. taeniatus too - stouter and
more ovoid than regular kribs. I'll be willing to bet that as they get
older they'll pick up more dark spots on the tailfin, and some red bars
as well.

Daryl Williams