Re: Re: sp. "Opal"?

I believe we have spoken just recently, and You seemed to have no
knowledge of the South American Importers here in Florida. Yet you
seem to be an expert now? I believe you have many contacts with South
American Exporters not Importers or you would understand. The fact is
the fish are held here in  the exporters tanks and then sent to
Hollond, Japan, etc... If you want names and adresses e-mail me and we
can talk these people are wholesale only and I dont want them to be
flooded with calls from hobbyists. Again you are mistaken on your last
point, many of the rare varieties are found as contaminents and under
false names. I have the luxery of sifting through contaminents and
have found Taeniacara candidi, A.viejita color form II, A.sp. Puerto
narino and many others over the years. In fact many like A.jurensis,
A.panduro(formaly pandurini), and D.maculatus come in under their name
proper! As far the fish coming in emanciated they are held for a week
by one of my better importers before being sent to Japan, he can do
this because of the price he gets in this market. But they always come
in looking thin, they have been through alot, most Americans will not
buy this and thats why they are sent overseas. The bottom line is
this; Yes,some South American Importers in Florida do send their
overseas thats a fact! and Yes, you can find the rare species at those
Importers. It is not easy but with patience you will find them.

David Sanchez

- ---Jota Melgar  wrote:

> David wrote:
>
> >Evedently you are  mistaken Mr. Melgar, I know of at least 3
importers
> >that ship all their fish to Japan and Europe. In fact they do no
> >business in the U.S., they  Import South American fish and then
Export
> >them over seas.
>
> This is the first time I've heard of such companies. Perhaps you can
post
> their names and phone numbers or addresses. I have a few friends in
South
> America that would like to add customers to their lists.
>
> >This common misconception has lead many American
> >aquarists to Europe in search of Apisto's not realizing they can be
> >found in your own backyard!
>
> With very few exceptions, I haven't heard of any importers getting A.
> mendezi, A. elizabethae, A. agassizii "Tefe", A. diplotaenia, etc,
etc,
> etc. Most of the few that do get the more rare dwarves, do so from
Europe.
> Very few do so from S.A.
>
> >especialy Apisto's since they
> >come in so emanciated and with out color.
>
> This is a terrible misconception often brought about by many importers
> ordering fish from cheaper exporters. Good exporters, just like good
> importers, will not send emaciated fish. Thinner than what we have
in our
> tanks? Yes, but nowhere near emaciated. The hard part is sorting
through
> the good and the bad.
>
> Julio

Archives"!