RE: Stray Apistos

A. gibbiceps will very often (but not absolutely always) exhibit the
faint diagonal barring on the lower body behind the pectoral fins.  This
is a dead ringer identification point for this fish.  Most of the recent
Apisto books will show a picture of gibbiceps with this marking.  I've
spotted gibbiceps contaminants in stores 3-4 times in the past 2 years
by this ident. alone.  The trick is then to make positive ID of the
females amongst the contaminants!

Tom