Re: Stray Apistos

Awesome Thomas! Thats what makes keeping Apisto's fun, contamenants.
We never know what we have. Regardless, I reccomend using soft water
(1-10 DH) and a pH around 6.5 or 6 until you are sure. It doesn't hurt
to go low. I have a well and my water comes out pH 5.5 and less then 1
DH, microsiemns of 30, and a KH of 1. I use this water for all my
dwarfs with out problems even my A.cacatoudies but for breeding I
adjust (or else i will get 90% males in A.cacatoudies) to what ever is
required. A little trick that my wife found ( I cant take the credit)
is to use black water extract ( I use boiled peat that makes a tea) I
know this is well known but I was not using it because my pH is so low
anyway, but it tends to make the water dark and makes many Apisto's
like Taenicara candidi much less shy. Give it a try good luck

David Sanchez

- ---Thomas Soelter  wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> last monday i've found 3 stray apistos, perhaps a new macmystery. The
> shop assistant couldn't tell what it is, where it comes from (surely a
> contaminant) nor how much it costs (funny eh). A day later after he's
> asked for a price and i've picked them up: 2 males 1 female (i hope
it's
> really a female - but there isn't a big difference) at a moderate
price
> (40 DM for those 3 fish). These guys are aprox. 40 - 45 mm. Males got
> lyra tail, short extensions on dorsal.
>
> Now i'm quite sure it's A.gibbiceps - maybe i'm able to photograph
them,
> scan it and put it on the net - i'd be interested in your opinion.
> Gibbiceps is a blackwater fish - right ? Are you able to tell about
> values of pH, hardness, electric condutivity, food requirements ?
>
> Thomas

Archives"!