Late Reply to An Older Post

Hi Fellow Apistophiles,

My name is Keith Kurko and I live in Seattle Washington.  I've been lurking
on this list for the past few months, but only tried to make my first post
a couple weeks ago.

I was surprised, but my post did not go through.  So I contacted the list
administrator, Francis Brian O'Carroll, and he graciously suggested a
possible solution to my technical problem.  He also suggested that I try to
send the list another e-mail to see if my inability to post has been
solved.

So, I am taking this opportunity to resubmit my original comments again.
 They are a couple weeks old, but my sentiments expressed in them are still
valid.

Thanks,
Keith

>I live in KY and find it hard to get any kind of Apis. locally.  CAn
anyone suggest
>a good mail order company?
>thanks
>Karilena Ann Meyer

Hi Karilena,

My name is Keith Kurko and I live in Seattle, Washington.  About a five
weeks ago I was looking for a couple pair of A. pandurini.  The few I saw
in two local fish stores were all F1 females.  I finally decided to order
two wild pair from Anchor Bay Aquarium in New Baltimore Michigan.

I talked to the owner directly (nice guy), and the fish were packed and
shipped for 1-day overnight delivery.  The four fish arrived at 10 AM the
next morning looking a little bit chilled (this was late-February), but in
very good shape considering their 2000 mile journey.  All were full-grown
and looked beautiful.  I put the four of them into a lightly stocked,
heavily planted 90-gallon community aquarium with lots of caves, and they
quickly looked at home.  My local tap water is very soft and I lowered the
pH with peat and phosphoric acid (a product called "pH lower" by Fritz
Industries) to between 5.5 and 6.0.  I also have been regularly adding
either Tetra's "Blackwater Extract" or "Amazon Extract" by Aquarium
Pharmaceuticals.  I've been feeding the fish live and frozen foods (they
won't eat anything else).  The two females soon set up territories on
opposite sides of the tank, more than 1-meter apart.  The dominant male
spawned with one female within five days (!) of their arrival date.  The
next week he spawned with the other female.  This spawning rotation has
continued, and so far both females have spawned twice.

The cost of the overnight shipping was expensive, but the bottom line is
that I am very pleased with both the fish and the service that I received
from Anchor Bay Aquarium.  I would order from them again.

Their web site is: http://www.anchorbayaquarium.com/index.html
And their phone # is (810) 725-1383.

Keith Kurko      kkurko@email.msn.com
Seattle, Washington USA