RE: Blue light

I've done it but with using a small flashlight with a normal, clear lens.
In fact, this technique was extremely useful about two weeks ago when two
pair of young Bolivian rams spawned simultaneously in opposite corners of a
ten-gallon tank.  I figured that catching the other inhabitants of the tank
would result in total chaos (as if there weren't enough already) but the low
light made it fast and painless.  The other inhabitants included some very
active Notropis species--please, no embarrassing questions about why I was
keeping shiner minnows with Bolivian rams. :-) There was a large rock in the
middle of the tank that seemed effective in keeping the two sets of parents
away from each other, at least until the fry were free-swimming.  Then I
siphoned out one set of fry and removed their parents, again at night.

I didn't know this trick had already been documented.  I came up with it on
my own out of sheer desperation.

- --Mark