Re: 55 gallon Tank, New to Apistos, You make the Call!!

At 07:10 PM 4/12/98 EDT, AEIGPHD wrote:
>Hi all, my 55 planted tank with P. Wouri in it went belly up after a water
>change and all the Wouri died.  Still trying to figure out what happened.
>Anyway when I do, if I do I will keep you posted.
What percentage of a water change did you do? What did you use to do the
water change? Was the temp. of the water the same as the tank or a little
higher?

I usually do my water changes at 30% or less for the apistos. I also have an
R.O (Reverse Osmosis) unit that I fill a 60 gallon drum with and let it sit
for a couple days with an airstone before doing water changes. Your Wouri
might be susceptible to too much of a water change at a time. I have had
that happen with too soon and too much of a water change.

>I am going to take everything out of this tank and clean and start all over a
>planted tank set a to harem breed apistos.  gallon tank
I wouldn't completely tear down the tank. If the deaths weren't due to
disease or chemicals, the tank should still be ok. You may have also brought
in some kind of a contaminant with your plants that affected your Wouri. I
would put something else in it that isn't too expensive and watch it for a
couple of weeks before adding new apistos. How long has your tank been set up?

Just my 2 cents worth.

Kaycy