Re: Taeniacara candidi

chuck Amburn wrote:

> Any advice on how to get a low pH? I am tring to breed my Taeniacara
> candidi for a while now. I am using an r/o. The hardness comes out at
> 2-3 and the ph is about 7.0-7.2. Any advice would be nice. I can only
> get it to about 6.0 using black water extract.

The average pH in my tanks is in the 5's with several in the 4's.  I start with
using almost all r/o water and then conducting water changed with only r/o.  If
the pH starts to drop too low, then I'll add a liter or two of tap water (treated
with Amquel). This would be for a 20 gallon tank.

My r/o comes out at about 10 to 20 microsemons (I'd guess one degree or less) and
the pH is already in the 5's.  Last year my r/o unit began to produce water like
yours--neutral or alkaline.  I had no spawns for months.  Then I bought a new r/o
unit and my spawns took off again.  I would recommend getting a new r/o
membrane.  Sure it may cost a bit, but if you want to succeed, you've got to get
the right equipment.

- --Randy