Re: Re: 55 gallon Tank, New to Apistos, You make the Call!!

At 01:17 PM 4/13/98 -0700, you wrote:
>>Thanks for your reply. I'm thinking that there may not have been enough
>>circulation in the tank (Eheim cannister filter).  When I took out the
>>driftwood, it smelled like sulfur.  This may have collected in the substrate
>>which is 3-4".
I have been following this thread and just about all aspects have been
covered with the exception on the driftwood and it smelling like sulfur.
Ummm...doesn't this signify some kind of problem and what is it, and what
should be done about it?  When I first started fish keeping about 25 years
ago I had a 55g that I had set up doing just great.  Then I thought it would
be a good idea to add this superb piece of driftwood and that was my ticket
to disaster station.  It took about 3 months and then over one night I lost
almost a tank full of fish.  I don't recall the smell of the driftwood, but
I was told at the time that this was the cause of my problem.  I've never
used driftwood again and I've never lost a large number of fish to a mystery
problem.  I'd be thinking in terms of what kind of wood is it? and is it
supposed to smell that way? and maybe dumping that piece and replacing it?
what do you think?

                                Nancy