Re: unknown, another -Reply

- --------------BBF54E0D56DCED49C294FE7A

Kathy,

Your mail wrap doesn't work for me, either (I. use Netscape Communicator).

Apistogramma sp. Orangeflossen (Orange-finned) is listed in several books (Linke & Staeck, Koslowski, and Schmettkamp).  The first two have a photo by Koslowski of a very ugly looking fish.  The photo in Schmettkamp's book (by the author) shows a lovely fish with a white body and dark brown stripes, gold gill covers, and sky-blue fins edged in red-orange.

Linke, Koslowski,  & Romer believe it's a hybrid species probably an A. agassizii x A. bitaeniata cross.  The irregular scaling on the caudal peduncle is supposed to be a sign of hybridization.  The species originally popped up in the early 80s in norther Germany.  Schmettkamp states that it's easy to breed, but in both Linke & Staeck and Koslowski they say it's not very fertile. Schmettkamp's report was from the early 80s.  His fish, being more fertile and
colorful, were probably F1.  Koslowski's ugly forms may have been F2 or later.  Their infertility is a good indication that Orangeflossen is a hybrid.

Mike

Kathryn Olson wrote:

> Dropped byNick's Fish store in Tacoma, he had some gorgeous bitaeniata, aggies and borelli.  There are at least two to three color morphs of the bitaeniata.  One has orange fins.  In the old literature I have hear of a A sp. Orangeflossen....in the bitaeniata subcomplex.  Any one else know about this.  I have never seen this fish....just another color morph or an actual species.  Anyway, I think Nick may have one hiding out in his back room  :)  Gorgeous fish.
>
> Just a side note....heard from one person my mail wraps weird, anyone else having this problem let me know.  Work has a annoyingly archaic email system but I can bug the CS guys if this is a recurrent problem.
>
> Thanks
>
> Kathy

- --------------BBF54E0D56DCED49C294FE7A

<HTML>
Kathy,

<P>Your mail wrap doesn't work for me, either (I. use Netscape Communicator).

<P><I>Apistogramma sp.</I> Orangeflossen (Orange-finned) is listed in several
books (Linke &amp; Staeck, Koslowski, and Schmettkamp).&nbsp; The first
two have a photo by Koslowski of a very ugly looking fish.&nbsp; The photo
in Schmettkamp's book (by the author) shows a lovely fish with a white
body and dark brown stripes, gold gill covers, and sky-blue fins edged
in red-orange.

<P>Linke, Koslowski,&nbsp; &amp; Romer believe it's a hybrid species probably
an <I>A. agassizii</I> x <I>A. bitaeniata</I> cross.&nbsp; The irregular
scaling on the caudal peduncle is supposed to be a sign of hybridization.&nbsp;
The species originally popped up in the early 80s in norther Germany.&nbsp;
Schmettkamp states that it's easy to breed, but in both Linke &amp; Staeck
and Koslowski they say it's not very fertile. Schmettkamp's report was
from the early 80s.&nbsp; His fish, being more fertile and colorful, were
probably F1.&nbsp; Koslowski's ugly forms may have been F2 or later.&nbsp;
Their infertility is a good indication that Orangeflossen is a hybrid.

<P>Mike

<P>Kathryn Olson wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>Dropped byNick's Fish store in Tacoma, he had some
gorgeous bitaeniata, aggies and borelli.&nbsp; There are at least two to
three color morphs of the bitaeniata.&nbsp; One has orange fins.&nbsp;
In the old literature I have hear of a A sp. Orangeflossen....in the bitaeniata
subcomplex.&nbsp; Any one else know about this.&nbsp; I have never seen
this fish....just another color morph or an actual species.&nbsp; Anyway,
I think Nick may have one hiding out in his back room&nbsp; :)&nbsp; Gorgeous
fish.

<P>Just a side note....heard from one person my mail wraps weird, anyone
else having this problem let me know.&nbsp; Work has a annoyingly archaic
email system but I can bug the CS guys if this is a recurrent problem.

<P>Thanks

<P>Kathy

<BR>Search <A HREF="http://altavista.digital.com">http://altavista.digital.com</A>
for "Apistogramma Mailing List Archives"!</BLOCKQUOTE>
&nbsp;</HTML>

- --------------BBF54E0D56DCED49C294FE7A--