Re: Soft, acid water

Andrew N. Blumhagen wrote:

> I live in an area that has alkaline water and have been struggling to get my
> pH, at least, to a point where apistos might consider breeding.

> <snip>  I put peat in the
> filter cartridge (whisper mini) and added blackwater tonic but can't get my
> pH down past 6.8 - 7.0.
>
> I had the apistos in a heavily planted 30 gallon community tank that had a
> pH just under 6 and the female went into brilliant breeding colors.  I've
> done my best to replicate those conditions but am not having any success.
> <snip>

>   How about more "natural"
> tricks that don't cost an arm and a leg?  Is the change in behavior related
> to the change in water conditions?

You have rightly observed that many fish in softer, more acidic water will show
better color and breeding behavior than they do in near neutral water.  (There's
a good article in the May TFH about the benefits of water with a low
conductivity.)  When I replaced my r/o filter last fall, my r/o water was much
softer and more acidic, and fish that looked dull and nearly lifeless started to
glow and spawn.

The cheapest and easiest method, I feel, is an r/o unit.  Sure it's going to cost
you at least $100, but how much have you already sunk into your hobby?  If you
want success, you best do it right.  Plant people invest in quality lighting and
CO2 injection; Apisto keepers ought to invest in an r/o unit (or de-ionizer).

- --Randy