RE: Kribensis P.

I have had kribs breed in everything from pH 5.8 to pH 8.0 (corresponding to
RO water, naturally hard and alkaline tap water, and various mixes of the
two), and the only thing that changes is the sex ratio of the fry. The
parents keep nice colors, breed readily, feed well, etc., under all
conditions.

I might add that you should watch out for that hunk of slate; a lot of slate
available here (western Canada) has carbonates in it and will harden the
water significantly over time. I have quite a lot of it, which I test with
hydrochloric acid, and most of it bubbles (indicative of carbonate content).

My krib fry do very well on a mixture of whiteworms, frozen baby brine
shrimp, and FINELY ground flake food.

> I have a large piece of slate
> leaning on a well-washed coffee mug, a big clump of java moss and a large
> rock for any beleaguered participant to hide behind, Since I didn't have
> an
> opportunity to raise the unfortunate offspring, I can't really say more
> but
> I know that large clumps of java moss are recommended by experts so the
> young can graze off of microorganisms that collect.  Also from what I've
> read, kribs aren't particularly picky about water conditions as long as
> extremes are avoided.  However, someone with more experience with the fish
> might be able to elaborate on that more...

Daryl