Re: New spiecies???

Jan,

I pulled your picture of the apisto off Doug Brown's page.  Based on what I could
see of the fish and the location from which it was collected, it appears to be a
specimen of Apistogramma ortmanni.  Annai (correct spelling) is a town along the
middle reaches of the Rupununi River in Guyana.  The only apistos from this part
of Guyana are A. ortmanni, A. rupununi (= Zweifleck Apistogramma), and some old
reports of A. steindachneri (probably A. rupununi).

Apistogramma sp. Mamoré or Rio Mamoré is a trifasciata-like fish originally
imported by Mimbon-Aquarium of Köln (Cologne to us English speakers) in 1995. It
was collected in the lower Rio Mamoré drainage, along the border between Brazil
and Bolivia.  Marco Lacerda (Aqua-Rio, Rio de Janeiro) collected it in the Rio
Pacaas-Novos, a tributary of the Mamoré along with A. staecki.  The fish was
first
introduced to the aquarium hobby by Dr. Wolfgang Staeck, who did not give it a
common name.  See:  Staeck, W. 1996. Neu importiert: Apistogramma aus dem
Mamoré.  D.A.T.Z. 49(9): 548-549. (I did an English translation of this article.)

I keep an apisto list for the Apistogramma Study Group.  It presently has 53
described and 77 undescribed Apistogramma species in it - not including invalid
scientific names.  I have 5 or 6 more to add, but don't have sufficient data
(only names and collecting localities) to add them to it now.  I have a friend in
the Netherlands with whom I correspond.  He has a copy of this list.  I will send
his name, address, and telephone number to you on a personal e-mail.  I believe
he can help you with your list.

Hope this is of some help.

best wishes
Mike Wise