Conductivity

Everyone on this list ought to get the May edition of TFH.  Two articles
are of importance.

[1] "The Search for the True Ratpunct" [sic] is about the various groups
of Apisto's.

[2] "Exposing pHallacies"  ***important article***
This is a great article on water by a veteran aquarist and water
researcher.  He ties its importance to fish that need very soft water
and mentions certain Apistos and tetras.  His basic message is that
conductivity is the most important water quality--surpassing pH.
Conductivity is tied to the amount of impurities in the water.  He gives
examples of Rummy-Noses that have little color until they are placed in
water with minimal conductivity, then the red blossoms.  I have recently
experienced this myself.  He further argues that many "problem" fishes
don't spawn in water despite the correct pH.  However he has been able
to get many of them to spawn by adjust the conductivity to the desired
parameters.

Five years ago I thought TFH was worthless.  They seem to have been
turning things around with more relevant articles and some worthy
authors.

- --Randy