Re: Bringing fish from Canada to U.S.

The inspection fee is supposed to apply to all imports of wild animals, but
as far as I know will always be waived if you are just transporting small
amounts. The actual fee is $55 but administrative fees are tacked on at
some sites, and you may also have to pay additional fees for overtime and
such with complicated inspections. In addition, you are also supposed to
have an import/export license from the US Fish and Wildlife Service which
costs $50. This all seems to be of little concern to with inspectors if you
declare your fish and assure them that they are not on the CITES list. They
are much tougher with birds for example.

For the Fish and Wildlife position on captive bred species check:

http://dataadmin.irm.r9.fws.gov/r9dia/captive.html

BTW, look for regulations on importing potentially invasive species in
addition to those on the CITES list in the next few years. Catfish and carp
lovers may get hit hard.

>If the fish were wild-caught, I'd have to pay the $95 inspection fee for the
>shipment.  That's what I pay (plus the import license fee) when I bring in
>wild-caught fish via Canada.  But since my fish are tank raised, it might be
>different.  The inspector said she'd call Washington and research it.
>I'll pass
>on and tell you what I find out (whenever I hear back).

- -Doug Brown
debrown@kodak.com