Re: coral for soft water

My daughter and I recently did a science project for school involving pH and
hardness.  In part of this project we put about 7 gallons of water in a ten
gallon tank and added a box filter full of crushed dolomite, which is readilly
available at garden shops.  It is just about completely calcium carbonate, and
for a rock, it's very soluble.  In two days, the hardness went from 70ppm GH
to  110 ppm GH.  This might be a viable option for bumping up tank hardness,
but some close monitoring would be needed until you get a feel for how fast
this stuff dissolves.  Or, you might find it available is a non-crushed form,
and add it to a barrle of water that you could draw from for your water
changes.

Bob Dixon