coral for soft water

I keep a small chunk of coral (about 2" long) in the basket of my =
AquaClear filter and it helps.  The pH is more stable in that tank =
than in my other tank of same size (10g).

I have soft water too, and thought that it was attributable to =
being from a deep well that I *think* draws its water from close to =
its source since I live up high (relatively). Am I way off base?  =
- -I'm no scientist!

- -Susan J.

 01:16 AM 5/1/1998 EDT, you wrote:
>I have not seen any postings on what to do if the water is too =
soft.
>In New York City, water comes from the tap at about 6.8pH, <1 GH =
and <.5 KH
>  the problem is that it is very difficult to maintain a stable =
pH.=20

Add a decorative seashell to your tank.  It will slowly dissolve =
(over
decades), raising GH, KH, pH and a whole bunch of other Hs.   ;^)>

If that is too weak a medicine for you, try a LITTLE crushed coral =
gravel
in a net sack (so you can remove it if necessary).

Good luck.   =20

- - --
Dave Gomberg	mailto:gomberg@wcf.com
FormMaestro  <http://www.wcf.com>