Re: pH & hydra

  Thanks for all of your responses with regard to pH fluctuations in soft
water.  I am still running "tests" to determine the efficacy of the various
commercial mixtures; however, in the meantime I do have a few more questions
and one response.

  With respect to the CaCO3 suggestions, I have tried shells, limestone and
chalk (the "items"), among other things (really, I have tried an awful lot of
stuff :)).  However, I have found that with the amount of water changes I do
(approx. 50% every week),  there does not seem to be enough time for the items
to dissolve enough to reach any kind of equilibrium, causing fluctuations in
water values.  In addition, the method seems unpredictable, particularly since
the rate at which the the items dissolve and the amounts required to reach a
certain level has been (in my experience) unpredictable.  I suppose pure CaCO3
from a chemical lab/scientific company or reef additive would solve the
predictability/quantity problem; however, my understanding is that CaCO3 would
increase my pH (I believe that there is a post/FAQ that indicates 1/2 tsp
CaCO3 / 50L of water will raise pH & GH one degree), causing a problem similar
to NaHCO3.

  I am interested in the possibility raised by Aaron with regard to the use of
just CaCl and Mg (as MgSO4?) to buffer the water.  I have run across
references to the use of increasing GH to buffer water; however, I have not
seen any values recommended to reach a particular level of buffering/pH.  On
the other hand, I have also read posts which state that buffering is a
function solely of H+ and OH- ions.  I'm not sure how these two different sets
of posts interact (unless CaCl and MgSO4 strip H ions from the water?).  Can
anyone help, either in suggesting amounts required or clearing up the
confusion (particularly since my wife, a chem major during our college years,
now refuses to speak to me on this topic)?

  Finally, as I am running my tests, the thought has occurred to me that I may
be doing something bad to my tanks.  Does anybody know what the the Proper pH
(Aq. Pharm.), pH Stabilizer (Jungle) and Acid Buffer/Alkaline Buffer/Neutral
Regulator (Seachem) products contain as ingredients?  Chromatograph anyone??
The only one that indicates any kind of content is Neutral Regulator which
states "Contains phosphate buffers and conditioning agents" (to be fair, Acid
Buffer/Alkaline Buffer both state they are phosphate free).  Jungle is helpful
in stating "Not for use on food fish."  Dang!  This is how I always get into
trouble.... rats.

Thanks for your help,
Myongsu Kong.