Re: Re: Cross Breeding In Apistos

In a message dated 5/6/98 12:52:53 AM, IDMiamiBob@aol.com wrote:

<<There are a zillion colors of swords available to the hobby because of
cross-
breeding within the genus, mixing swords, platies, and variatus.  The breeders
had specific intents, and the product of their hard work has made the genus
Xiphophurus (sp?) one of the "bread and butter" staples of the industry.>>

One thing that you might want to consider is that, although you cand find any
number of "improved" platies, etc. that it is impossible to find any wild,
unimproved types,  with the possible exeption of the green swordtail.  I have
looked for years for some true variatus, but all available strains have been
crossbred with platies so that the female also carries the color.  In true
variatus the females are plain, much like a female guppy.
Anyway, it would seem that popularity has a price.  I think that in many ways
we are better off having "our" fish remain outside of the mainstream of the
hobby, although I too wish I could go to the LFS and find half a dozen species
of Apistogrammas.
More to the point, I think that indiscriminate cross-breeding of species is
dangerous, unless the breeder is willing to make sure that none of the
offspring
are released to the hobby. It's hard enough trying to establish the identity
of the mislabeled fish in your dealers tank without having to contend with the
possibility of hybrids.
Anyway, just my 2 cents worth.
Jeff
WndrKdnomo@aol.com