Re: Cross Breeding In Apistos

Tim,
     I am also new to Apisto's, but based upon what I have learned to date,
what you describe so-far sounds an awful lot like the blue-yellow A.
hongsloi.  This doesn't make sense, though, because from what I understand,
that morph occurs mostly in Colombia.  Pictures would help. Who knows,
maybe some one on the list knows which questions to ask to identify them.

Cliff

>I can't tell you much as I'm a novice to this hobby. The most I could find
out is
>that the collector lives in Venezuela, the fish were collected from the
Laguna Provincial >in Puerto Ayacucho, Venezuela.  The thought that the
fish are in the Hongsloi genus comes >from the locale of collection, and
the bright yellow coloration the male has on his head >back past the gill
plate. The male has a very large dorsal that extends almost to the end >of
the tail, the anal fins are the same length, the pectoral fins are sky
blue, there is >also a red caudal spot and some red under the abdomen by
the anal fins. They also have >very small, pointed mouths.The female was a
dull grey until she went into brood colors(she >has not lost them yet).
The female is a very bright yellow with ablack checkerboard >pattern on the
sides.  These fish have turned out to be very prolific spawners as well as