Re: Thoughts on SMP

Steve wrote:

>I'm hoping to participate... snip

I would expect that coming from a student of Michael Soule.

>However, what to do with those fish with unknown backgrounds but seem
>worthy of species maintenance? For example,I have a particularly beautif=
ul
>strain of A. eunotus (yes there is such a thing ) and I would love to
>participate with the maintenance of this species. I have no idea of thei=
>genetic background. Perhaps we could have a class for fish like my eunot=
us
>as "hobby sports" and another for fish with genetic backgrounds known
(i.e.
>F1's).

I think in your case you will have to register them under "species" as
opposed to "hobby strains" or "population". I would like to avoid giving
names to variants of unknown background. Otherwise we would get into a
vicious cycle of wanting to name every single thing that makes it to our
fishrooms and even having the same variant with different names.

Julio