Re: Rambling thoughts on SMP

Frauley/Elson wrote:

> <snip> I think the key to species
> maintenance is to think about geological time. We're each just hiccoughs
> in the big picture lifetime of these species. That, to me, is their
> wonder.

> <snip>  I've been working on a species of killie <snip>

> It may be common in its habitat, it may
> not. It's rare in the hobby. I've distributed the fish as well as I
> could,  <snip>
> I think it's a good initiative.    <snip>
> -Gary

I agree with Gary.  The most benefical part of species maintenance is keeping a
species available for other aquarists.  I'm keeping a colony of the "threatened"
Characodon audox, not because I think this line will someday be used to restock
their Mexican habitat, but so that the species will stay available in the hobby.

As for Apisto's, it sure would be nice to know that someone somewhere is keeping
(and making available) a species that went around a few years ago.  That is not
the case now.

- --Randy