Re: Apistogramma borelli

Mike Wise asks:

<< Are you living in the Miami, FL area?  If so your water is perculating
through an
> old coral reef.  The water is leaching CaCO3 (either limestone (calcite) or
the
> more soluable form aragonite from the substrate.  This raises the KH sky
high. >>

Just for the record, Mike, There are a significant number of "Robert"s in the
Boise, ID area.  In fact I suspect there is less homogenaity in the genetic
pool of white mice than in the name pool of Boiseans.  Any way to distinguish
one Bob from another is quickly latched onto.  I once chased my (now ex-) wife
to FL to try once again to salvage my marriage.  When I got back to Boise I
found myself refered to as "Miami Bob".

We get our drinking water from a number of subterranean aquifers.  There is
very little but igneous rock here.  The KH, GH, and pH all vary from season to
season based on where the  water table lies.  There are a number of phosphate
mines within a hundred miles of here, so carbonate deposits are also possible,
I suppose.  There may also be some kind of carbonate compounds in the
fertilizers they use on the spuds and sugar beets.  The "Snake River Aquifer"
is a very large and geologically complex area.  I'm going to find some
hydrochloric acid and a good test kit for KH.  Then I'm going to experiment a
little.

Bob