Re: Rambling thoughts on SMP

In a message dated 5/20/98 10:29:14 PM EST, swaldron@slip.net writes:

<< I would love to have some of the
> descendents from my Taenicara spawns of 1986 or my Venezuelan hongsloi of
> '89. Where are they now? Just because a species may be common today, that
> does not guarantee it will be so in the future. Think of the SMP as a sort
> of bank, a reserve where we might someday need to withdraw when
> overcollection or the whims of the tropical fish market limit our supply. >>

Bingo!

All the scientific benefits of sorting, classifying, stratifying and
differentiating every breeder's fish based on collection sites, some of which
are only a few cartographical seconds apart, is more than we can hope to
accomplish.  If we can keep some fish around for the sake of having them
around, that will be great.  If we keep fairly decent records, we might also
manage to provide a data base for scientific investigation.  And who knows,
every now and then we might also manage to help some government's reclamation
project by providing the livestock to reintroduce.

Julio and I are ready to keep track of as much information as is available on
your specific pair of "Fishicus RedAndGreenAndEverSoCoolicus" as you have.  We
will track, as available, information about who is keeping what, where they
came from, and if deemed appropriate, who you distributed your stock to.  It
seems like good practice to cross lines between different breeders' stocks,
and so, if it is deemed a worthwhile thing, we will schedule and notify you
when it should be done (Does that sound like a good idea to anyone else?).

Someone email one of us and let us know what you are working with.  We will
continue to develop guidelines and practices as the program develops.  We have
the ASG (some of whom are receiving this list) supporting us, in spirit at
least.  As communication between Group members is slower than email lists,
they will probably find themselves playing catch-up, but within a year (I
know, seems like a long time) , they and we will be fully in synch with what
is starting here.  The leadership of the Group is in full agreement with this,
and it really is the appointment of Julio as their coordinator that is finally
getting this thing to gel here on the List.

This is a great thread, and I look forward to wacthing the discussion over the
next few weeks.  I think the last few postings have begun to focus on the same
point, that being that we can keep fish avialable, and along the way maybe
find that we have collected some valid scientific data.

Bob