RE: I'm gonna be a criminal!!!!

I'll explain how the Australian laws work in regards to wildlife in
general (and fish in specifics)...This isn't a legal opinion, its just
my interpretation of the relevant Act of Parliament.

The law effectively only covers the import/export of fish (specifically
the state of New South Wales as some other states have a state law that
works in conjunction with the Federal Law)... Now this law specifically
states in its Addendums the species that can be imported or the specific
breed that can be imported, and the same exists for a export list (that
is imported/exported without specific "applied for" clearance from
Customs/Quarantine)...  Together with this list there is another which
specifically covers fish that CANNOT be imported/exported...

Any fish not on the OK listing but is also not on the BANNED listing can
be applied for with Customs, and if they give the OK, usually that
breed/species will appear in the next Addendum.. Though some cases arise
where one off clearance is provided.

>From memory plants are stated as being freely importable/exportable
without in-difference.

With the exception of the territory of Tasmania, as they have a problem
here as they are "outside" the boundries of the mainland Australia so
shipping from the mainland to Tasmania is treated as
exporting/importing)

There are a lot of fish currently making the rounds of the aquarium
market here in Australia which do not appear on these lists and yet are
legal, as they were brought into the country prior to this law and so
are immune to the law, as they are now locally bred in Australia...

This wildlife act also covers various other animals, birds, mammals,
etcetc..

If anyone is interested I can look for the URL to this Act so you can
get an idea how things operate in Australia...

This act is the primary act applying to this area, secondary to this is
the quarantine act that applies to the procedures of quarantining
animals on importation into Australia (all wildlife has to be
quarantined on entry to Australia - from memory)...

Cheers
Matthew Bourne