Re: altispinosa guarding eggs (image)

About the darkness of the image...

First, monitors:  Web designers have realized that colors are not consistant across
monitors.  My monitor at work renders colors darker than does mine at home.
Apparently the difference can be greater than I realized.

Second, the image:  Most of the background is black gravel.  Black should be black.
Notice the constrast of the gravel with the small portions of wood, plants, and eggs.

I agree that the image is darker than it should be.  I almost discarded the image
when I first saw the thumbnail!

But realize that this is from my first weekend of shooting fish and my first weekend
of experimenting with my new camera.  Right now I'm just trying to see what various
settings do.  As the web page said, I was using a setting that calculated exposure
and focus on a selected object--in this case the foreground fish.  As a consequence,
the other objects (all background) received less light and were somewhat
out-of-focused.

I posted the image because  I thought it caught an interesting "pose" and because it
showed the pair two days after the previously posted image.  In the earlier one you
can see their descended tubes.

Anyway, I've got a lot of experimenting to do with various settings (white balance,
brightness, exposure, contrast, and more).  When I feel I've turned up the quality
another notch, I'll post another shot and let this list know (providing it's of a
dwarf cichlid ;-)

- --Randy

P.S. Kaycy, I don't recall if anyone asked you to check your contrast.  I played with
the contrast on my moniter and was able to obtain the problem you reported.  Turn up
the contrast and see what happens.