Re: Tank Size For Breeding Apistos

Back in the 70s Fontaine Weyman (anyone out there remember him?) used to breed
all his apistos in 5 1/2 gallon tanks with a flower pot, water sprite, and a
small box filter.  That's a bit too small for me, 'though.  For small species,
like A. borellii,  that aren't highly polygamous my favorite tanks are my 25 year
old 11 gallon (18"Lx14"Wx10"H) rodent  tanks.  These have 52 sq. in. more surface
area (~ 25% more than a standard 10).  I only wish I could find more of them.  I
think the ideal tank for breeding polygamous species, or 2 different species
together, are 30 gallon breeders (36"Lx18"Wx12"D).  Unfortunately they cost about
the same as a 40 breeder and usually have to be a special order.