Re: Tank Size For Breeding Apistos

	When I first discovered apistos back in the early eighties, standard ten
gallon tanks were pretty much accepted as the way to go.  I spawned A
agasizzii, A. bitaeniata, and A. steindachneri in tens.  I spawned Nanacarra
anomalas in a five, but the female was really hard on the male, so I switched
up to a ten.  Ialso spawned Psuedocrenilabrus multicolor (Dwarf Egyptian
Mouthbrooders) and a trio of Apistogramma borrelli in tens.  For space
conservation I turned the tanks sideways and stacked them 9 across on an eight
foot rack.  I cut my own custom glass lids so I could still open them from the
end facing me, and get lights to sit on top when I didn't have them mounted
under the rack above.  The biggest problem with sideways is the females like
to get back away from the front with their fry, and usually also spawn in the
back where I can't tell.  My current cacatuoides spawn easier in a 20, and I
may switch them back, but they will do it in a ten.
	My approach to maintaining good water quality and water parameters using
small tanks is to get 55-gallon plastic pickle barrels, and treat the water in
advance of doing my <regular> water changes.(note: regular- as in 10% every
week).  That way I have the correct water parameters for pH and hardness
before the water goes into the tank.
	I have seen 20" flourescent strip lights by Perfecto, O'Dell, All-Glass, and
Penn-Plax.  Stacked sideways, you can use overhead lighting suspended above
the tank.

Bob Dixon