RE: Tank Size For Breeding Apisto

Tank size is a trade-off.  Larger tanks require less frequent
care--smaller tanks allow you to keep more tanks and work with a greater
variety of fish.  I have spawned several types of apistos in 5 1/2
gallon tanks.  I believe the trick is having enough vegetation in the
tank so the fish don't constantly see each other when they are not
getting along.  I think it was in Vierke's dwarf cichlid book that I
read a recommendation of filling up the tank with big rocks (it's been a
long time since I read it so I might not be recalling accurately) to
create hiding spaces.

Regarding lighting--if color rendition is not important to you, Home
Depot carries 18 inch flourescent light fixtures, complete with
flourescent lights) from Lights of America.  They are labeled
under-cabinet lights. They seem to be pretty good with plant growth.
They cost $6.80 cents the last time I bought them and are about 19
inches long (just longer than a ten gallon tank).