Re: Community- Angels.

 s369503@student.uq.edu.au writes:

> Sorry about this (a bit off the topic) but i have a large pair of veil-
tailed
>  angels spawning in my main 4ft display tank (as of 2 hours ago). The tank
> consists
>  of 6 other angels, 2 discus, 8 mixed dwarf cichlids and approx 40 mixed
> tetras. I
>  just want to know whether I should leave the angels in the tank for now and
> remove
>  the fry once hatched to a separate rearing tank, as the angels are quite
> tolerant,
>  yet still heavily parental within the tank.
>
>  Some advice would be kindly appreciated.

My only problem with fry of any kind in a large community tank is getting them
fed.  I guess the best solution is to provide enough frsh-hatched brine shrimp
to feed everyone, and hope the little guys are quick enough to get some.  I've
seen Dave Soares raising fry successfully in a 135-gal community, but he
always feeds nothing but fresh-hatched brine.  He has three inverted 5-gal
water bottles with the bottoms/now tops cut off that are going continuously.

Angels have a bad reputation for eating eggs and fry, but in my experience, if
you give them the right water parameters and enough cover to feel secure, they
are as good as any other cichlids I have kept.

Bob Dixon