Re: Community- Angels.

>Sorry about this (a bit off the topic) but i have a large pair of veil-tailed
>angels spawning in my main 4ft display tank (as of 2 hours ago). The tank
consists
>of 6 other angels, 2 discus, 8 mixed dwarf cichlids and approx 40 mixed
tetras. I
>just want to know whether I should leave the angels in the tank for now and
remove
>the fry once hatched to a separate rearing tank, as the angels are quite
tolerant,
>yet still heavily parental within the tank.
>Some advice would be kindly appreciated.
>Andrew.
In my experience, hopefully not in yours, my angels have always eaten their
eggs/fry in a community tank. Since they have 'paired' off and you want to
have them raise their own, remove the eggs and hatch them artificially and
place the new parents in at least a 20 gallon of their own. They should
spawn again in about 10 days. This is the best way I know of for letting any
cichlid pair off. Put several of the same species in a tank large enough to
hold them and let nature take its course. You are more likely to get parents
that are more willing to care for their eggs and young in harmony with each
other. If you don't have another tank to separate the pair, then just watch
and take the advice of Bob Dixon and keep the tank well fed with newly
hatched brine shrimp and ground flakes for the other tank mates. The way I
get the BBS to a clutch of fry in a community tank is to use a piece of
airline tubing with a stiff piece of piping at the end and siphon some of
the shrimp up and 'blow' it into the cloud of fry. They will get the
majority of the BBS in this manner. Make sure you feed the other tank mates
very well every time you feed these new babies. This should allow the fry to
get their fill and hopefully keep the predation of the others to a minimum.

JMO

Kaycy