Re: Rainwater collection

Apflanzeneh@webtv.net wrote:

> Hi all,
>        I am planning a fishroom of approximately 600 gals. My current
> method of water prep. would be unacceptable ( Tap water purifier, mixed
> bed D.i) for small applications presently, 220gals. this is o.k .
> Another alternative I know is r.o, but I think convincing my wife that
> its for household use, and not for my fish (after using 60-100 gals a
> week in my "room") just would'nt cut it! Plus my water is on a metering
> system and I pay for every last drop . We are on a limestone aquifier, (
> well water )
> Tapwater : pH. 8.2
> k.h 5  Tetra test ,
> gh. 9 Red sea test kit
>       Does anyone have any expierences with rainwater collection, pros.
> cons , different methods of collection?
>       Any input would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Steve

Hi Steve

Rainwater's my staple for breeding apistos, killies and West Africans. I
collect it in a couple of 5 gallon buckets under the eaves spouts.
Oddly,  here it measures at pH 7.0 on the nose, in spite of my living in
a large-ish city (Montreal). We have severe acid rain problems an hour
to the north, but not here. I give it 24 hours in a 40 gallon, filtered
on charcoal in a little fluval. A few times, I've skipped the filtration
on all day heavy rain, with no problems.
Pros - cheap as could be, clean water.
cons - heavy buckets, irregular rainfall patterns (feast or famine),
storage

I don't collect for the first 15 minutes of a rainfall. I use snow in
the winter, with equal success.
- -Gary