Re: Rainwater collection -Reply

 William Vannerson@ writes:

>  I'm
>  concerned about:
>  Cost (wooden barrels are expensive)

It's a one-time investment, and plastic barrels are cheaper.  Look for food-
safe ones.  I'm sure you should be able to get one in Chicago area from a
meat-packer (they get barrels of pickle-relish for pickle loaf) or some other
food processing place for well under $50.

>  Filtering out debris
>  Insect control (is screening adequate)

Screening over crafter's plastic canvas (for support) is adequate to keep out
both leaves from your roof, and bugs.  THe only insects I have ever seen in a
rain barrel are misquito larvae and bloodworms.  I don't think your fish would
mind sharing quarters with either of those.  I'm sure the arrangement would be
only temporary, at least from the fishes' point of view.

Bob Dixon