Anchor worms?; Camallanus infection

 "Joe Anderson" <> wrote: <<<<<anchor worms?
I recently had a white worm (planaria?) problem in my ten gallon tank.
It is more or less under control now, but tonight i noticed one
of my prized altaspinosas with what appeared to be a spike-like worm(s)
sticking out of its anus.>>>>>

Most likely nematodes. See the next post.

 >WROTE:
: <<<<<Camallanus infection
     I've got a Camallanus infection in my aquarium
I treated yesterday with levamisole (10 mg/ml). It comes from Sigma
(L9756). In the catalog, they say n'not for veterinary use'.(...)Discus
were
reacting first very badly with a loss of equilibrium but seemed to be OK
after.
You are supposed to treat for one day. Could it be more? Can the drug be
eliminated with charcoal. I am not keen on doing another water change. I
had to do one in emergency in the last Sunday' night cause I did a fatal
and follish mistake by mixing several medications (anti-, bacterial,
fungus, and parasite from Interpret in the UK). (...)
I also dipped the eel (far most affected; one of my favorite) in
salt-water
(3%) + methylene blue + formalin (all at recommended dosage). I couldn't
stand to see the eel so affected by the bath so the treatment was only
for
10 minutes. Do you know Fluke tablets? Ivermectin?
Would KMnO4 ?/H2O2?/ green malachite be of any use?
I am thinking of doing external surgery (just removing the protruding
worms
from the rectum) on the eel with a slight anesthesia with benzocaine
this
WE. Has anyone had  experience with that anaesthesic drug?>>>>>>>>

Ken Laidlaw on this list reported a while ago excellent results
with a single dose of levamisole 7.5% in nematode infections.
Here is what he wrote: <<<<<
Drug - Levacide (TM) = Levamisole Hydrochloride 7.5% concentration.
       Note: different concentrations can be used e.g. 1,5% just adjust
       quantity accordingly.

Dose - 1ml in 7.5litres of tank water.  First mix required quantity in
       luke warm water. Then pour into tank.
       After 24 hours perform 100% water change if possible.
       Treat all tanks and fish not just those showing signs of
       infestation.

The dose you report (10 mg/ml) sounds quite strange,
especially if you are using the pure substance from Sigma
(L9756 is 99% pure).
How did you calculate the dose? Maybe this explains the
stress experienced by the Discus.
Do not mess around with more medications unless you see
lack of results 10-14 days after dosing. Most of those you quote are
useless
for nematodes, and you probably just added stress to your fish.

If levamisole does not work, I would use either flubenol (available from
Florida Tropical Fish Farms, Inc. 1-800-940-3833. Untergasser in
his books explains how to dose it) or Fluke-Tabs (1 cp/10 gal, water
changes
3 days later, and another dose a week after the first one).

What's the problem with water changes? Anyway, yes, carbon will remove
the
medications. Carbon however should not replace water changes.

Good luck

Dionigi Maladorno
dionigi.maladorno@roche.com
This message presents personal opinions which are not necessarily those
of my employer.