Re: peat

Peat reduces hardness and lowers pH.  We've discussed this to some length in

But not all peat works this way.  (Peat comes from different parts of the world
and in different grades.)  I have read this as well as experienced this.  I have
had luck with, and have heard good recommendations for, Canadian Sphagnum Peat
Moss.  I got over 2 cubic feet for $8 from a garden center.  But it is a seasonal
product (growing season), so look for it now or you may be waiting until next
Spring. The best stuff is supposed to be German Peat, but apparently that is hard
to get (and expensive).

--Randy