Re: peat

I'm sure you'll get more posts on this and you can check the archives too.

In a nutshell, I have used Canadian sphagnum with some success, no problems
with insecticides or other contaminents. It will help (even a lot) but if
your water is even moderately hard you will have a lot of trouble getting
the hardness and pH down to where you need to be for the blackwater apistos
with just peat.

I finally got an RO unit last month and will never go back. The $110 25 GPD
SpectraPure from Reef Fanatics was well worth it for me. Note that I live
in an apartment and just connect it to a laundry sink in the basement with
the standard hose connector. I now put peat in the filters and use the RO
water straight and my fish are doing better than ever. I do have a lot of
wood and plants in the tanks to add a little buffering.

>Hi List,
>    I am wondering if anyone has used this peat before and is it good
>lowering the hardness and pH of water? Premier Sphagnum Peat Moss Tourbe
>3.8 cu ft.  I visited their site and they didn't talk about much of the
>peat moss. I want a peat that will lower the hardness and pH so that I
>can start keeping some difficult apistos. Thanks
>
>Ade Lau
>adelau@uwyo.edu
>ps) Possible I can get it at Wal-mart most preferred.

-Doug Brown
debrown@kodak.com