Re: A. iniridae

On Fri, 28 Aug 1998, Randy or Deb Carey wrote:

> Someone at the ACA was selling some young, wild-caught fish he thought
> was A. uaupesi.  Mine have grown enough to verify that they cannot be
> uaupesi as the males are developing a rounded/oval caudal and uaupesi's
> is lyreate.

> http://www.spacestar.net/users/carey/fishroom/species/apisto_iniridae.html
>
> Kathy Olson also bought some, so I'm interested in hearing from you
> Kathy.

Kathy's busy packing to go to Houston today, so I'm filling in. :)  The
four fish have turned out to be at least two, possibly three, separate
species.  Two of them turn out to be a pair of aggies (we think) and have
already spawned (we found eggs last night while taking video!).  One of
them may be an iniridae like Randy's, and one of them we can't identify
yet.  Take a look for yourself at http://mystery.thekrib.com
where I've cobbled together some very crappy video stills (available
light, limited resolution).  As always, I hope to get some better slides
eventually of these guys.  For grins, I also put in a few shots of the
fish we were looking to mate them with.  Guess not!

   - Erik

---
Erik D. Olson						amazingly, at my own domain.
erik at thekrib.com (fails? try eriko at wrq.com)