peat spawning killies -Reply

>>...he says his interests are peaceful fish including peat spawning
killies. I am wondering about this because I have never associated killies
with peaceful. <<

Just like cichlids, some killies are more aggressive than others.  I had a
lonely heart male Aphyosemion gardneri Mesaje (GAR) that I tossed into
a tank of young Julies (doin' the tank shuffle thing).  I watched closely to
make sure the mean African cichlids didn't hurt him.  Well, he started
wailing on the Julies, chased them all over the tank, even through the
rock caves.  So I netted him out right away.

Other killies are peaceful. Some are downright meek, like Cynolebias
nigripinnis.  Most aggression is between males seeking to establish
dominance.

I'm short on tanks so I always mix and match.  Right now I have
Aplochielus lineatus (LIN) in a 30 tall with some small Angels and A.
borelli.  The borelli stay near the bottom while the LIN hover at the
surface.

It also helps if the species are dissimilar.  I have another GAR in a 30
with a group of Yellow Labs.  The Labs tend to pick on him more than the
other way around.  I think that the difference in body shape and color
pattern may account for the general truce.  Julies are more elongated
with a variegated color pattern, much like the GAR (although the colors
are different).  The Labs are taller and flatter with a solid colored body.
The GAR is not as likely to perceive the Labs as a threat to his
dominance.

These are just my personal observations and theories.  I'm welcome to
any comments or criticism.

BTW, you can learn more about killies at the American Killifish
Association's web sit at www.aka.org.

Bill Vannerson
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/william_vannerson